Low Back Pain Relief
19th February 2016Uncategorised
Get seven ways to help relieve low back pain
- Try to stay active. Prolonged bed rest (more than four days) has the potential for weakening muscles and prolonging the pain.
- Exercise in moderation. Start with a few minutes of daily walking, swimming or stationary cycling and build up to 20 or 30 minutes at a stretch once pain subsides. If the exercise causes too much pain, try another. Avoid aggravating activities. Jogging, golf or tennis are out until pain subsides.
- You can continue your daily work routine if your job does not consist of strenuous manual labour.
- Use medications. Acetaminophen or an over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen can offer low back pain relief and keep you mobile. Prescription muscle relaxants, sometimes prescribed for back pain, may do little to help your pain and may cause unwanted side effects, including dizziness, drowsiness or dry mouth.
- Use hot and cold treatments. An ice pack or hot water bottle applied to your lower back can be soothing.
- Practice proper lifting techniques. Lift objects close to your body at navel level and avoid twisting, bending and reaching while lifting.
- Avoid prolonged sitting. If you work at a desk, change positions often. Placing a support at the small of your back, using armrests to help support your body weight, and reclining your chair back slightly may make sitting more comfortable.