5 A DAY TIPS
Getting your 5 A DAY is easy. There are plenty of ways to add more fruit and vegetables to your daily meals.
Here are some ideas to get you started.
5 A DAY at breakfast
- Add fruit to cereal, porridge or lower-fat yoghurt. Try a handful of berries or a chopped banana.
- Add mushrooms or tomatoes to scrambled eggs.
- Make a quick smoothie in a blender using your favourite fresh or frozen fruits. A smoothie containing all of the edible pulped fruit or vegetable can count as more than one portion a day, depending on how it’s made.
5 A DAY at lunch
- Add some crunch to your sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber or grated carrots.
- Sticks of cucumber, peppers and carrot, and cauliflower or broccoli florets are delicious with dips such as salsa or lower-fat cheese spread.
- Add fruit and veg to your favourite meals. Try adding chopped carrots to bolognese sauce, sprinkle chopped red peppers on your pasta, or mix veg such as peas into mashed potato to make it even tastier. Add tomatoes to your omelette or mushrooms to your next stir-fry.
5 A DAY at dinner
- Have a salad or vegetable side dish with your main meal. If you’re having shepherd’s pie, have some peas, too. If you’re having a roast dinner, add some carrots or broccoli to your plate.
- Frozen fruit and veg count towards your 5 A DAY. It only takes a couple of minutes to microwave some frozen peas, mixed vegetables or mini corn on the cob.
- Canned fruit and veg also count. It’s healthier to choose fruit canned in juice rather than sugary syrup, and veg canned in water without added salt or sugar.
5 A DAY snacks
- Swap sugary snacks, such as biscuits, for a piece of fruit.
See article here: //www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Tips.aspx